Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Sorting and Classifying

So this week is all about sorting and classifying! My little kinder kids began to learn this when we started learning about shapes. I found that they were easily able to differentiate the shapes, so now it time to do it with real life items! 

I found this great chart from First Grade Blue Skies Soaring Into Kindergarten

We will make this chart and discuss the ways to sort different items. From what I've seen, it is easier to start with the manipulatives that you have in your classroom and then work on random items. A friend of mine said that she collects a bin of all the things that the kids want to touch from her desk and she lets them sort by their use! It is a great way to keep them engaged because they want so badly to play with all of those items that are just sitting their taunting them. 

We are also going to use a product that I've created to sort shapes, size and type (letters vs. numbers). There are pages with the pieces to cut included as well. 
 

Click on this link to find it in my TPT store! 

We are going to use a song from The First Grade Parade
The First Grade Parade: Say My Name & Some Math Fun:

I am so excited to use these ideas and get to sorting! Check back next week to see pictures of our learning! 

No comments:

Post a Comment